Monday, December 05, 2005

Damn you Chevy Chase!

Christmas decorating has never been the same since Mr Chase popularised the festooning of one's house with heaps of strings of lights...and once you succumb to your "sprouts" desire to similarly adorn ones own abode you can never go back :-| .
There must be a kickback to the retailers of these lights from the energy companies, y'know ..The more lights you sell, we'll drop your power bill by a few percent this quarter coz we'll make it up with the increased power sales to the punters lighting up their houses!!!
Don't get me wrong, I enjoy the fact my "potholes" (small, prepubescent Pitts) get such a kick out of it :-), but frankly I'm tiring of it. Each year has to be bigger and better (apparently)...It seems last year I was confronted by yet another string of lights, glowing reindeer, fibre optic tree every week in the lead up to Christmas. (This year I'm up for more extension cords and power boards by the way). AND this year there are murmurs for extra cut outs for the outside display and I'm considering a DIY to save on $ if pushed!...a bit of creative recycling of left over renovation material ;-)
I sit here trying to relax after a weekend of unknoting strings of lights, testing and replacing dead globes, climbing ladders, testing and replacing more dead globes, fitting cutouts, replacing more dead globes, all whilst trying to complete some of the internal house renovation prior to Saint Nick's arrival,,,and did I mention fixing more dud globes,,,
Roll on New Year! When the reverse procedure has to happen. NOT!...it wouldn't be the first year when the lights have stayed up until the Queens Birthday long weegend! Purely because I don't want to wear out the ladder prematurely, ladders aren't cheap y'know! ;-)
Merry Humbugs to you all!!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Seems like ours is the only house in town not festooned in lights. There are some great displays around, but not at our place.

The Christmas tree doesn't go up until next week, when all the birthdays are out of the way.

The kids keep calling me Scrooge, and saying "Bah, humbug" behind my back. I don't mind...

J.