Wednesday, July 26, 2006

Ubuntu to you too

Yes, Ubuntu
I have of late been trying different Linux Distributions, and stumbled onto ubuntu linux courtesy of PC User magazine.
I must say I am impressed with this one ...
Apparently based on the ever reliable Debian, it is way ahead of most i've tried, with up to date software inclusions, excellent software management / download facilities and most importantly for me its GNOME desktop is not a windows desktop clone as so many other distro's are trying to be!

So far it is working extremely well with my hardware, an AMD Sempron based PC, built from leftover/scrounged bits n pieces. It is set up as a dual booted unit alongside Windows XP Pro (which hasn't been touched now for weeks!)
Samba was a cinch to set up and I have full network access to the other PC's in the house (all Windows boxes)
My only issue at the moment is tracking down a printer driver for my canon i350 printer, so i have to save my work i wish to print to one of the windows boxes then print it from there.

Next up on my list of distros to look at will probably be the recently released "Freespire" by Linspire..but it looks a bit windowsy...so I'm a bit reluctant to let Ubuntu go just yet......

cheers
Cecil

No comments: