Wednesday, August 16, 2006

ADSL2+ speeds?

looking at changing over to ADSL2+ in October as my ISP will be providing it from early Oct.?, so I have been doing my research on line speeds possible at my distance from the exchange..

using the formula attenuation in decibels/13.81 (13.81 db loss per km of telstra copper wire) where my line attenuation at the moment as reported by my modem is 51db, I'm approximately 3.7 km from the exchange as the electrons flow...

using my 51db figure...


here is a link to a site that gives you the graphical representation shown above...just feed it your attenuation figure if known.

here is a link to the oz-broadband speed test site

this all adds up to a theoretical speed around 5500k which is about 21 times faster than my 256k adsl1 connection now but only about a quarter of the speed someone living next door to the exchange will theoretically get...(up to 24000)

be interesting to see what i get in reality!

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Geoff, tested my connection speed and got 1100 kbps out of my 1500 speed connection with Netspace. Not bad

Geoff said...

seems our adsl2+ has been put on hold now :-(....they are no longer publishing which exchanges will go over or when they will, and ours has not been done.....perhaps the fact that telstra has opened up adsl1 to 8000 kbps on their exchanges has changed their minds????