Thursday, December 09, 2010

Androids

Ok, so I've finally got an android smartphone. A Nuvifone A50 to be precise, which has an inbuilt (satellite not mobile phone tower) GPS. This is great - as it mounts on the windscreen (mount supplied) and not only allows me to 'navigate' but take calls hands-free concurrently (the phone reception has to be better up there on the windscreen too I would suspect!). Much better than having the phone in your pocket or sitting in the console or sliding around the passenger seat ....   other niceties are geotagging for pictures and videos taken with the inbuilt camera and with mobile internet you can get "google street view" from the GPS map screen.
I'm still exploring all the available 'apps' (so many to choose from ...) and will comment later on any particularly handy ones I come across.
Cecil

1 comment:

Peter Blyton said...

I have just installed the new Google Reader app, it is pretty cool. I use GTasks and all the shipped Google App 'apps' like Gmail, Calendar and Talk regularly.

I think my favourite thing about android is having just one address book, the same one used in Gmail. No phone numbers stuck on sim cards or phones, it is awesome!